My motorcycle licence
Steps to get a Learner's permit
- Minimum age 16
- Pass a theory test or hold a driver's licence
- Pass Rider Safe basic training
Learner's permit conditions and rules
- Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) restricted motorcycle
- Zero alcohol/drugs
- Must display 'L' plates
- Must not exceed speed limit by more than 10kph
- Must not ride over 100kph
- Must not incur 4 or more demerit points
- No pillions unless your passenger is a Qualified Driving Instructor
- Learner riders who don't already hold a driver's licence must hold a learner's permit for at least 12 months (six months for over 25 years)
- You must not use any type of mobile phone function.
- Holders of a learner's permit for R Date, who are under 25 years of age and who do not hold a P2 or full licence for another class must not ride a motorcycle between the hours of midnight and 5am unless they:
- are accompanied by a Qualified Supervising Driver (QSD). For motorcycle riders, a Qualified Supervising Rider is a pillion passenger that holds an unconditional motorcycle licence for the preceding two years;
- hold a P2 or full licence for another class; or
- they meet the exemption criteria.
The permit is valid for two years and you must carry it at all times whilst riding.
You must complete the Rider Safe advanced training course within two years. If you do not complete the Rider Safe advanced course within two years you may be required to re-sit the Rider Safe basic course.